Rarin' To Go (on a roadtrip!)

Rarin' To Go (on a roadtrip!)
sign at the gas pump museum

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Alpaca Fever


I had a new adventure the other day.  One of my bosses has a herd (?) of alpacas and it was the annual shearing day.  I'd never seen one up close so I asked to come along and help.  They have the sweetest faces, big soft eyes, and the softest hair.  But after they had been sheared, they look like Dr. Seuss characters!  And they make the strangest sounds.  Usually just a humming noise, but sometimes, I think when upset, a bizarre high-pitched whine like a sanding machine.  I had various tasks:  leading the alpacas in and out of the barn for the shearing, getting down on the floor and grabbing the hair as it is sheared (and keeping my fingers out of harm's way), then sweeping up bits of hair from the barn floor.  It was fascinating watching the 2-man team of shearers.  One mainly handled the animal and the other did the actual shearing with the razor.  

No comments:

Post a Comment