Rarin' To Go (on a roadtrip!)

Rarin' To Go (on a roadtrip!)
sign at the gas pump museum

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Great Fosters

The last day of our British holiday. And yet another incredible hotel, Great Fosters in Egham, not far from Heathrow. This was actually used by Henry VIII and then Elizabeth I as a hunting lodge. As their brochure says, "Its past is evident in the mullioned windows, tall chimneys and brick finials...fine oak beams and Jacobean fireplaces..." I'm in the "Italian Room", all damask walls and gilt carvings. The bathroom is the size of my living room at home! Well, we are going out in style. It was my sister's birthday yesterday and the only evening I got really dressed up for dinner. Carried that pretty dress all the way just for that night. Sigh.

Today the wonderful staff prepared a hamper for our lunchtime picnic. They are all so polite without being stuffy, so friendly and helpful. Stanley, who is from South Africa, carried it out for us, set up blankets on the grass by the lake, poured a red wine, and set out a spread of small sandwiches, Stilton cheese, chutney and fruit. What elegance! We watched the ducks and swan on the lake, drank in the peace and admired the beautiful brick hotel from a distance. I could get used to this. Soon back to reality, but I don't mind cause I love where I live and I miss my Cadbury!

No comments:

Post a Comment