Rarin' To Go (on a roadtrip!)

Rarin' To Go (on a roadtrip!)
sign at the gas pump museum

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Magdalena







On the way back I went west out of Socorro onto Hwy 60, what a beautiful ride. Vast grasslands, craggy hills, wide open skies. I was on a mission to find Pie Town, a real place where some man had started a cafe back in the 1930's I think for east/west travellers. It was a long drive only to find the cafe closed. Bummer. I was craving pie! But as luck would have it, I was passing through a sweet village called Magdalena and found an open cafe called the Bear Mountain. The nice women who run it served me a delicious lunch capped off by a rich piece of chocolate pecan pie. I was in foodie heaven. And they also had a gallery next door full of beautiful arts and crafts. I definitely want to come back here and explore some more. There is a ghost town called Kelly I'd like to see, just 3 miles from here.

I also drove past the VLA (Very Large Array). It was way in the distance but so eerie. Are they trying to commune with outer space?! And I drove through Datil (don't blink or you'll miss it), the former home of Frances Nunnery a rancher and all-around adventurous woman who moved to New Mexico all by herself when she was 21 in the 1920's.

No comments:

Post a Comment