Rarin' To Go (on a roadtrip!)

Rarin' To Go (on a roadtrip!)
sign at the gas pump museum

Sunday, August 30, 2009

The smells of New Mexico

I did a very New Mexican thing the other day. I bought a huge burlap sack of green chile and had it roasted by the outdoor vendor at a market. That earthy smell says New Mexico to me more than anything else. But of course, being a white girl from California, I bought the mild and not the hot! And I split the bag with two friends from work. But now I will have chile to add to my cooking, such as green chile chicken enchiladas or green chile scrambled eggs. Yumm.

Fall is coming up-I can tell by the cooler nights we've been having. And that will bring another wonderful smell-pinon and cedar wood burning in our fireplaces.

Another mouth-watering smell is the smell of cooking at Mabel's. When there is a workshop, the cooks do all three meals in the big old kitchen; otherwise, it's just breakfast for the B&B crowd. Smells wafting into the reception office where I work of scones, muffins, creative egg dishes, coffee. And I get to eat too. What a perk of working in an already interesting and fun place!

No comments:

Post a Comment